At Singapore GP, we are determined to build a legacy of positive change. In line with F1’s goal of reaching net zero by 2030, we have been working closely with the Singapore Tourism Board to lay the foundation for a more sustainable Formula 1 Singapore Grand Prix.
In 2022, we commissioned our first carbon footprint report to measure the sources of emissions in the patron experience zones1 within the Circuit Park. The report found that total emissions in the Circuit Park amounted to 2,372 tCO2e in 2022. Energy use made up the vast majority of emissions at 96.1%, while the remaining 3.9% resulted from transport, waste and water.
With the data from our 2022 carbon footprint report, we have developed a roadmap for efforts towards carbon reduction for the coming years. By 2028, we will halve our energy emissions by focusing on energy reduction, cleaner fuels, increasing renewable energy capacity, and utilising Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs) for unavoidable emissions.
Structured around three sustainability pillars, we will roll out a series of initiatives which will be reviewed annually, with key milestones set for 2025 and 2028 to ensure we are on track to reach our goal.
We attained a one-star rating in the Fédération Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA) Environmental Accreditation Programme, the Singapore Environment Council Eco-Events certification, and the F1 Pit Building received a Green Mark GoldPlus from the Singapore’s Building and Construction Authority in 2022.
In 2023, we attained the three-star rating in the Fédération Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA) Environmental Accreditation Programme. The FIA 3 Star accreditation is the highest level of environmental sustainability recognition awarded by the motorsport governing body.
1 Singapore GP’s GHG emissions are calculated from the sources of emissions within the Circuit Park’s patron experience zones. Patron experience zones refer to Zone 1 through to Zone 4 in the Circuit Park and areas that are directly under Singapore GP’s purview and control. This excludes all freight, logistics and travel by Formula 1 and teams.
We pledge to halving our energy emissions from the event, increasing the use of renewable energy sources and utilising Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs) for unavoidable emissions from grid electricity. To tackle emissions from power generators, we will gradually phase out diesel and increase the use of alternative fuels with lower carbon emissions. This will be supported by an Environmental Management System to improve our overall performance and compliance while ensuring a successful event delivery.
We endeavour to adopting a circular economy, working around challenges and constraints associated with the organisation of our event and to reuse materials for as long as possible. We strive to source and utilise resources that are sustainable and to minimise our waste. We will continue to work with our supply chain to ensure a responsible procurement process of goods and delivery of services.
We strongly believe in the unifying power of sport to grow education, employment and volunteering opportunities; and we will continue to play our role in catalysing this.
We continue to have an equal, diverse and inclusive talent pool whilst embracing all beliefs, values and races and continue to share good practices with industry peers and beyond.